Frequently Asked Questions
Handicapping can be a difficult subject to grasp. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive about handicapping.
How do I establish a Handicap Index?
- First you will need to join the Utah Golf Association and select a home club.
- New members may start posting scores right away and can even back-date their scores if they have old scorecards laying around.
- Those with an 18-hole Handicap Index need to post 5 18-hole rounds and wait until after the 1st or 15th of the month (whichever is sooner), before their Handicap Index will be established.
- Those with a 9-hole Handicap Index need to post 5 9-hole rounds and wait until after the 1st or 15th of the month (whichever is sooner), before their Handicap Index will be established.
How is my Handicap Index Calculated?
- Your Handicap Index formula is based on the best Handicap Differentials in a player’s scoring record.
- If a player’s scoring record contains 20 scores, the best 10 Handicap Differentials of the most recent 20 scores are used to calculate the Handicap Index.
- As the number of scores in the scoring record decreases, the percentage of Handicap Differentials used decreases.
- Click here to view the USGA Handicap Formula and try to calculate it yourself.
What is Equitable Stroke Control and how do I adjust my scores?
- ESC is an adjustment of individual hole scores (for handicap purposes) in order to make handicaps more representative of a player’s potential ability. ESC is applied after the round and is only used when the actual score or the most likely score exceeds a player’s maximum number. ESC sets a limit to the number of strokes a player can take on a hole depending on Course Handicap™. Apply ESC to all scores, including tournament scores. Below is the maximum number a player can take:
What does the “R” next to my Handicap Index mean?
- Click here to view the USGA’s short explanation on Handicap Reductions
How do I delete an incorrect score?
- If you have a score that was posted incorrectly and needs to be changed or deleted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the UGA main office at 801-563-0400 and we will correct the issue for you.