Check out what has been happening in Utah Golf.
Utah State Golfers Conclude Cal Poly Match Play Challenge Defeating Hawai’i
ARROYO GRANDE, Calif. – Utah State men’s golf concluded play at the Cal Poly hosted Match Play Challenge with a 4.0-1.0 win against Hawai’i here Tuesday at the Cypress Ridge Golf Course. On Monday, USU lost matches to CSU Bakersfield (3.0-2.0) and Weber State (3.5-1.5).
In its seventh-place match against Hawai’i, senior Grahm Schmaltz posted a 4&3 win against Scott Yamashita; junior Seokwon Jeon recorded a 6&5 win against Ryan Kuroiwa; sophomore McCoy Willey suffered a 1 up loss to Justin Chu; junior Reed Platke notched a 1 up win against Brian Lee; and sophomore Eli Rogers had a 2 up win against Adrian Lee.
In its consolation match against Weber State on Monday, Schmaltz halved his match with Devon Purser; Jeon lost his match against Luke Crapo, 4&3; Willey posted a 4&2 win against Colton Dallimore; Platke lost to Michael Johnson, 3&2; and Rogers lost his match to Lee Shepherd, 3&2.
In the opening round loss to CSU Bakersfield on Monday, Schmaltz won his match against Tristan Stone, 4&3; Jeon lost his match to Jim Park, 1 up; Willey lost his match to Travis Millwee, 1 up; Platke lost his match to Nathan Green, 3&1; and Rogers won his match against Teo Chiesa, 1 up.
Utah State will continue its spring season on Monday, April 6 when it travels to Chandler, Ariz., to compete in the Wyoming hosted Cowboy Classic.
MATCH PLAY vs. HAWAI’I – USU WINS, 4.0-1.0
1. Grahm Schmaltz (USU) def. Scott Yamashita (UH) – 4&3
2. Seokwon Jeon (USU) def. Ryan Kuroiwa (UH) – 6&5
3. Justin Chu (UH) def. McCoy Willey (USU) – 1 up
4. Reed Platke (USU) def. Brian Lee (UH) – 1up
5. Eli Rogers (USU) def. Adrian Lee (UH) – 2 up
MATCH PLAY vs. WEBER STATE – USU LOSES, 3.5-1.5
1. Grahm Schmaltz (USU) tied Devon Purser (WSU) – Halved
2. Luke Crap (WSU) def. Seokwon Jeon (USU) – 4&3
3. McCoy Willey (USU) def. Colton Dallimore (WSU) – 4&2
4. Michael Johnson (WSU) def. Reed Platke (USU) – 3&2
5. Lee Shepherd (WSU) def. Eli Rogers (USU) – 3&2
MATCH PLAY vs. CSU BAKERSFIELD – USU LOSES, 3.0-2.0
1. Grahm Schmaltz (USU) def. Tristan Stone (CSUB) – 4&3
2. Jim Park (CSUB) def. Seokwon Jeon (USU) – 1 up
3. Travis Millwee (CSUB) def. McCoy Willey (USU) – 1 up
4. Nathan Green (CSUB) def. Reed Platke (USU) – 3&1
5. Eli Rogers (USU) def. Teo Chiesa (CSUB) – 1 up