Check out what has been happening in Utah Golf.

Memorial Service Set for Dwight McNew, Former Pro at HAFB

Dwight McNew, longtime assistant professional at the Hill Air Force Base golf course passed away January 28, 2012 in his home state of Kentucky. His obituary was not distributed state wide and so many of his golfing friends in Utah have been unaware of his death.
A special memorial service will be held April 5th at 1 p.m. at the Hill Air Force Base golf course clubhouse. All friends are invited to attend in memory of the joyful moments spent with him. All those attending will have to RSVP in advance in order to gain permission to enter Hill Air Force Base. Please call the golf course at 801-777-3272 to RSVP by Friday, March 30th. 

A series of events preceded his death. He suffered from kidney disease and had been on dialysis for quite some time while on a waiting list to receive a kidney transplant. That time came in August 2011 and the transplant seemed successful, but while in the hospital he suffered a heart attack requiring additional surgery and a disabling stroke.
He returned to his native Lexington, Kentucky to receive family care, but died on the 28th of January. His funeral services were held there January 31st. He was buried at Cresthaven Memorial Cemetery in Kentucky with military honors. He was 66.
He had numerous friends and was very popular throughout Utah golf circles. He had been the assistant professional at Hill Air Force Base for many years under head professional Wayne Volk and current head professional Tony Angelico.  He loved golf with a passion and was a good player. Between his smiles, jokes, and friendly greetings he was able to sandwich in winning the Moab Senior Open.
It was a sad loss for Wayne Volk who recalled Dwight as “being without guile. He was just awesome. I have many special memories of my time with him.”
Tony Angelico said, “Dwight was truly a wonderful person. He treated everyone equally regardless of stature.”
McNew was born August 23, 1945 in Wildie, Kentucky to Homer and Nellie McNew. He joined the Air Force in 1965 and served in the Vietnam War. He worked most of his career as a radar technician. His final position was Radar Superintendent at HAFB in the 84th Radar Evaluation Squadron. He retired from active duty as a Senior Master Sergeant in 1991 after 26 years of service.
His work at the Hubbard Golf Course at Hill Air Force Base started as a golf course tractor operator in 1988. After a stint overseas he returned as a maintenance laborer for four seasons before becoming a starter in the pro shop in 1996. He was promoted to assistant golf professional in 1999 and held that post for 10 years until his retirement in 2009.
After retirement he continued working as a starter for two years while undergoing dialysis.  In August of 2011 he received a kidney transplant and suffered a stroke shortly afterwards.
He is survived by his wife Nell Mullins McNew of Mt Vernon, KY. Stepson Robert Boatright of Ogden, UT.  Stepdaughter Donna Keeler of Phoenix, AZ. Stepsons Robert Dixon of Mt Vernon, KY and Michael Dixon of San Diego, CA.  Two brothers, Ellis McNew, Alfred McNew and sister Barbara McNew Thacker, all of Mt Vernon, KY.  Also survived by his two step grandchildren of which he had legal guardianship, Axel and Chanceine Smith of Roy, UT. Also surviving are several grandchildren and two great grandchildren. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his first wife, Kay; a sister, Faye Fletcher; a brother, Wayne McNew; and two step grandchildren.